Thursday, July 24, 2008

Le pont des arts


Paris_PontDesArts-1, originally uploaded by david_stirling.


I was afraid to talk to this painter at first, because he seemed like a crusty grumpy Frenchman. But in fact, he's a really nice guy. While he was working on this piece, he invited a couple little girls over to have their picture taken helping him paint. I talked with him for a while about how it all works, being a street artist. He's got a pretty sweet location on the pont des arts. I wasn't clear exactly how they determine where artists sell their wares, but they all have to register with the city hall, and he is entitled to sell on the bridge; it's not just informal pecking order or first-come.

He is apparently firming up details to do an exhibit in Washington D.C. this fall. Needless to say, this is a big deal for someone whose income consists largely of cigarettes he gleans from passersby.

I purchased the painting second from the right in the above photo. I have it temporarily hung in the apartment and every time I look at it it still pleases me. What more can you ask for?

See the rest of the photos of him working on a painting starting here.

No comments: